Monday, September 29, 2008

"In a world going to hell", there's someone being called.


I happened upon a post by a 16-year-old boy and some comments by his friends. After a bit of thinking and reviewing what I knew about this young man, I think the calling he mentioned is a building sense of duty to help right the seeming world disorder. He's told me his primary desire in choosing a profession after school is being able to help others. Here are his words:

" Whenever I read the news anymore, I can feel the tension in the air. Tension all over the world, building up, choking me... Some day it's all going to explode.

Lately I've felt a pulling sensation in my heart. I'm being called. I don't know why, but I am. Something major is going to happen, and I have to be there, I have to do something, when it does. I can feel that much.

I don't know if I believe in destiny, but I do believe in callings. I believe that sometimes we are called for a purpose even we don't or may never know... The world is going to hell, and day after day the danger increases. Russia, North Korea, The Economy, Venezuela... So many other things on top of all that, all threatening to us. I don't want to live my life in fear of becoming caught up in a nuclear war, or any kind of war. I want to know that I can be safe in my own home... But we don't always get what we want. So much tension, so much fear... I want to ignore it all and blissfully go on. But, ignorance is what screwed over the human race before... I'm listening to my calling. When the time comes, I'll be ready. I just wish I knew what I need to do."
I responded:

"Do not think in a linear fashion. You are called daily. Sometimes there are several calls in a day. Some times we are called to wait. In other instances we act in concert with others who have also been called.

For now focus on education. It will give you skills and hone the gifts you already possess. Answers will present themselves when it is time. Answers often come about in, or as the result of, prayers.

Do not let wars, rumors of war and Doomsday talk distract you. Most of all, do not let it sap your hope and joy. People have been wailing about the approach of the End Times since the advent of language.

Yes, you will have anything you need at the time of your calling. The source of our strength must be found in the temple we call our hearts. If not, "strength" is simply a delusion."

His post reminded me of the fear children carried about in their hearts during the Cold War as they walked by fallout shelter signs in their schools. I still remember the sense of relief we felt when Civil Defense officials removed supplies from fallout shelters. Dad brought home OD green metal cans of rock candy and nuclear-age hardtack from a shelter at his work. We had a candy cache for nearly a year. The red and green fallout candy wasn't as sweet as the Jolly Ranchers we bought with scavenged pennies, but it was free. The hardtack went to the birds and squirrels.

This boy's sense of calling led me to the thoughts of a Marine corporal from New York, Lee, who was facing war against terrorists for the first time. ''It's the same with a car accident," he said. "You can't know how much it hurts until you've actually been in one. But if we get the call, there'll be that fear. But more than that, there's a sense of responsibility. Personally, I say send us."

My words to the boy seem inadequate. He's not the only one who thinks, "I just wish I knew what I could do."

No comments: