Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Somebody else's .45 Autos


Brigid has posted a piece about fitting a pistol to the operator's hand.

She's showing off her Sig Sauer P220 and Colt Combat Commander again, which always reminds me I don't have a .45 ACP right now despite having nearly 2,000 rounds of ammunition for one in the basement bunker.

My first .45 ACP was the best one I ever owned, a Colt Commander I bought on my 21st birthday for a whopping $185. With the alloy frame, it was no burden to pack. The Commander flawlessly fed 200-grain SWC and 23o-grain ball ammunition I handloaded for it. After two years of being spoiled by it, I traded it in for a Series 70 Government. It wasn't near as much fun.

J.A., a friend I made when we both wore badges, is our farrier. The last time he showed up, he was packing a vintage Colt Commander just like the one I foolishly traded decades ago. The anodizing was mostly gone from the front strap, the frame had an old "Bozo" scratch from the slide stop and the blue slide showed honest holster wear. Other than that, it was perfect.

Lusting for a .45--it can morally bankrupt a person.

No comments: