Thursday, April 23, 2009

Horses and Snakes

I'm partial to the classics. I'll walk along the glass cases at gun stores, quickly scanning the rows of bland-looking Glocks, XDs, S&W polymer M&Ps, CZs, etc. I'll spend some time looking at some of the 1911s and Sig Sauers in 9mm and .45 ACP. Any Browning 9mm Hi-Power deserves some attention.

I spend the most time in front of revolvers. It's less crowded there unless there's some mulling S&W J-frame snubs for CCW. There, I'm particularly drawn to Colt D-frame revolvers in any skin--Cobras, Diamondbacks, Detective Specials, Agents, Vipers, Police Positive Specials and more.


They're getting more and more difficult to find. Some of my favorites, such as Diamondback .22 revolvers with 4 or 6-inch barrels, commonly sell in excess of $1,000. A few of the D frames shipped with 3-inch barrels. One that's always eluded me is a Colt Cobra 3-inch chambered in .22 LR. I'm still in mourning after Colt dropped the D frames from its product line in 1995.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Revolvers have always been my favorites to. They just feel right.

Somerled said...

Thanks for stopping by, 'My way.