Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Pat's Day!

Cead Mile Failte to all the Irish out there who happen to stumble by this post.

My great-great-great-great grandfather came to New World shores from Argyll in western Scotland, once part of the ancient Gaelic Kingdom of Dalriada. The Scoti, from present-day Northern Ireland, spread across the North Channel, or Sruth na Maoile, and warred with the Picts for nearly three centuries. The Scoti and the Picts fused into the Kingdom of Alba under Kenneth I in 843. My clan descends from Kenneth I and ninth-century Viking interlopers, the dark strangers.


I'm wearing green in honor of my cousins. May you all have a lovely day. I'll think of you as I watch the spring grass grow. EZ, a two-year-old gelding, is straining to reach every bit of the new grass from inside his pipe-fenced prison. I'm going to let him out a bit to have at it.

No comments: