Tuesday, February 10, 2009

An Rx for Happiness: Go shooting

"All men have a sweetness in their life. That is what helps them go on. It is towards that they turn when they feel too worn out." --Albert Camus

A glut of computer work and minor illness has kept me inside a lot the past two weeks. Today, I took advantage of a free hour and 70-degree weather to run four magazines of 9mm ammunition through my AR-15 carbine.

It wasn't planned in advance. I grabbed the carbine, belt with loaded magazine pouches, protection for ears and eyes, an Indonesian pineapple can, an empty Ritz cracker box and headed down below the pond dam.

I put a little dirt in the bottom of the box so it would stay upright. The red image of a Ritz cracker on the yellow background is a fine target. I checked the zero with it. Then I commenced picking on the shiny pineapple can. It was an excellent, and cheap, reaction target.

Barry and all greenies everywhere will be proud of me. I picked up the can, cardboard scraps, and the empty 9mm brass to recycle. Barack, I will carefully and responsibly recycle those 9mm cases with fresh small pistol primers, 115-grain Berry's Manufacturing plated FMJs, and the contents of an eight-pound keg of Alliant Unique.

Four magazines worth of 9mm ammunition costs less than a visit to a mental health care professional. The walking, shooting, stooping to pick up the brass, and safely moving under the electric fence without getting shocked also boosts one's physical health. All of this stimulates the economy, too. Perhaps one marksman brings about hope, change and happiness more than any number of community activists in Chicago, D.C., or any other progressive, urban hub.

Well, shooting up a Ritz cracker box is more fun than opening it in the conventional way.

No comments: